Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First trip, February 2009

I have been living in Gold Bar for 8 years, I even see Wallace Falls from my living room, and I never got to go to Wallace Lake, until now.
This winter, I decided to buy a mountain bike, and scout the surrounding mountains with it. This blog will tell about my trips.
Here are pictures from my first trip to Wallace Lake.

On the way to Wallace Lake, about 1/3 of the way. Nice view of nearby mountains from DNR road. The first 1/3 is a narrower trail in the forest, while the DNR road is wider and easier:

The Olympics, visible on the horizon, just above the sea of clouds:

A Cascade in the side of the trail:

Reaching snow level:

Snow cover is full, and temperature was noticeably lower at that level. About 3/4 of the way:

hummm ... does that mean " From now on, you are on your own "? No other way to the lake:

The last break in snow cover:

Going downhill, for the first time. the lake is close ...:

That's the top of the mountain:

Some good size cat tracks:

Swampy area around the lake:

A bridge ... blocked by a big snow drift:

No other choice that jump:

Another bridge, with 2 feet of snow on it. Below is Wallace River. Crossing the bridge with the bike was scary:

The birth of Wallace River, view from the bridge:

First glance at Wallace Lake, at last! View from the same bridge:

A Giant bike for a giant ride:

Wallace Lake was beautiful that day. The far end, sunny, was free of ice. All the rest was frozen and covered with snow. I did not see breathing holes that are sometimes reported:

Snow covered lake:

Dead trees roll down the slope to the lake, and end up in Wallace River:

On the way back. Snow drift on the trail:

Not sure what is this. Big cat or small bear? tip of the claws are visible, plus the opposed thumb tells me it 's a small bear:

Glove for size scale:

While I was relieving myself on the trail edge, I was admiring this lichen art on a stone:

Another cat trail, likely a mountain lion:

Half way down. View from the same mountain pictured earlier, but from higher up:

Index and Persis on the horizon:

Going downhill for now own, down to the trailhead, very nice ride. The rest of the ride is in heavily forested area, very rough and technical ride.
This was an awesome 4 hour ride.
Who comes with me next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment